Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Elvis Presley Cake

I had an amazing thing happen today.  After connecting with a very dear old friend (on Facebook several months ago), as in someone I went to school and confirmation with during junior high - yes, we went EVERY Saturday for 3 years to study for confirmation, she shared with me that she'd just seen my high school graduation announcement, and name card, in one of her scrapbooks.  Now I hate to count how many years ago that was ... 1971 you do the math ... but couldn't believe she had kept that.  I may have a copy in an old hope chest that's covered with boxes that I haven't looked in for probably 10 years - but I doubt it. 

She is so sweet and is going to send it to me where it will go immediately into my family history album before I misplace it.  I LOVE memorialblia, just ask my family, but I haven't been very good at keeping it organized.  I think I'll go dig out some of my OLD photo albums and look up her picture.  It's a lovely gift to reconnect with an old and dear friend!  Thank you God for blessing me by putting Lisa back in my life.

****************
I posted this on my Facebook and thought I'd share it again too.  Wonderful words ... imagine if we could each do this every day?  We all be calmer and probably nicer to be around!

Honor True Self
Forgive with Compassion
Receive ALL of life with Thanksgiving
CHOOSE with Thoughtful Consideration
Dream with Powerful Vision
Act with Bold Courage
Dance with a Light Heart
Relax in the Arms of Spirit
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

*******************
And now on today's important date ... Elive Presley's birthday!  Here's a recipe to celebrate, if you feel so inclined.  For more background on the recipe please go to the site.

Elvis Presley Cake
This is one of my favorite sites and Christy Jordan posts the most wonderful recipes and she's very entertaining as well.  Today she is celebrating Elvis Presley's birthday (January 8, 1935–August 16, 1977).  The older I get the more I appreciate his talent.  (My family has never let me live down getting up in an airport cafe and dancing to "You Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog" when I was four, so guess I liked his music back then!)  Just yesterday I was listening to a video of him singing gospel songs - guess I was celebrating his birthday early.  When he died it was one of those events that "I'll always remember where I was" when I heard the news ... bartending in Hart Bowling Alley, if you were wondering.
 

CAKE:
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 (3-ounce) box vanilla pudding (not sugar free!)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 (16-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 cup sugar
FROSTING:
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Instructions
  1. Mix cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, and milk. Beat until smooth.Bake in greased 9x13-inch pan in 350F preheated oven for 45-60 minutes (or until center springs back).While cake is baking, boil pineapple and sugar on top of stove until sugar has melted. While cake is still hot, punch holes in cake and pour hot pineapple over cake. Let cool.
  2. For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar gradually and beat until creamy. Add pecans, if desired, and mix well. Drop by dollops onto cake until top is mostly covered, then smooth and spread to frost cake.
If you want to see pictures of all the steps to make this cake just go to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment